Monday 12 May 2014

Hearty Italian Sausage And Tuscan Kale Soup

I am sure you are well aware that having children and making a meal that they all like is difficult. How about making a meal for you Italian husband who thinks his mom’s cooking is the best ever. Well, I found that this soup is not only a crowd pleaser but simple and easy to make. I like recipes I can freeze and this is one of them. If you intend to freeze I would cook the pasta and add it into to each bowl then you can freeze the rest of the soup in a freezer bag.

When I asked on my Facebook page what people wanted to see on Mountain Mama Cooks for the New Year, I got a lot of requests for “skinny” recipes. I know that many of you have vowed to make this new year one of eating healthier and exercising more and while I tip my hat and commend what you are doing, my blog and the recipes will stay the same. I will focus on what I always have and that is giving you real food and a whole lot of moderation. Like resolutions, I don’t adhere to the all or none philosophy. (Forget what I said above about resolutions.

Now here's to surviving this crazy week. Wish me luck. Our program really needs to find supporters if we are to keep the doors open! Bet most of you couldn't attend the banquet, but do remember that all my book sales money goes to keep the doors open for the kids, so think Christmas presents! Just click on the link of the LCAF books on the right. I am in I, II and V. V is a pre-order that will ship at Thanksgiving. If we get all the school's bills covered, and eventually even get salaries, I will have more time to spend in the kitchen.

I am packing the soup into canning jars for work. I think I will keep the gnocchi separate in a little baggie. I love to take soups to school for lunch. That way when the kids come in with chili dogs and onion rings, I at least have something more substantial than a salad. I took vegetable beef soup last week and actually had a student offer to trade me lunches. We will see what happens this week! To change things up, I may add a one ounce block of cream cheese to make it a cheesier version later this week.

Last week I said it was starting to feel like soup weather around Seattle. Well, I guess the weather Gods heard me and decided to unleash their fury. We have had some fierce weather lately! Heavy downpours, whipping winds, thunder and lightening. It has been pretty wild around here. And even more wild is living on a floating home during a storm. As you may have guessed, my house moves about when there is significant weather happening around me. It’s something that I’ve gotten (mostly) used to now that I’ve been living here for over a year, although every once in a while it catches me off guard. Craziness!

0 comments:

Post a Comment