Monday 12 May 2014

30 Minute Hearty Italian Basil Sausage Soup

I happened to get a 3 lb package of Italian sausage 50% off last summer and came home with my loot and froze it. My love for Italian sausage knows no bounds, but my knowledge of recipes that use the savory meat is limited. I went on a search and bookmarked all kinds of recipes, even ones that I wouldn't normally try. This recipe was one of those ones. I'm a Go Big or Go Home kind of girl when it comes to spices and combining flavors but since a friend had passed on some carrots and zucchini from her garden I tried this soup.

If you are looking for a quick weeknight dinner that won’t keep you in the kitchen long (I hope you can handle 10 minutes), you’ll love this. I’m not just saying that this soup tastes like it’s been simmering all day, it really does. My whole family had the entire pot eaten without any leftovers the next day. I even caught my 3 year old picking up his bowl to drink the very last drop. Trust me this one is tasty! Make sure to enjoy this soup with some good garlic bread and a salad too.

By Kandice, 12/30/2010 Great base recipe. It needs to be tweaked to be that -M-G soup that my family and friends are always asking me to make. Start rolling the sausage into little balls first. It takes longer than you think. Substitute great northern beans when you don't have cannellini. I double the carrots, celery, rosemary, garlic, broth, and kale. I use 1 lb of sausage because that is usually how it is packaged. I love hot italian and usually add 1-2 tsp of red pepper flakes for a little extra kick. I typically use 3 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar.

This new phase one recipe for Italian Sausage Soup with Green Pepper, Chickpeas, and Pesto is something I came up with a few weeks ago when I found turkey Italian sausage on sale at the store and I wanted a hearty comforting soup that I could make and eat for dinner that same night. I've made a few soup variations with similar flavors, but what made this soup especially enjoyable for me was an idea that popped into my head to mash some of the chickpeas so they kind of dissolved into the soup.

Place chopped onion & mashed garlic in soup pot & sautee in olive oil. Take sausage out of its casings and break off bite sized meatballs Add this to onion mixture. Cook sausages on medium heat for about 4 minutes. Your goal is to make sure there’s no pink left on the outside of the meat. Now add chicken stock, beans & frozen spinach. Simmer on the stove for about 20 minutes. Make sure there’s a very low boil going on. Before you serve, add the red-wine vinegar (it will give it that extra zing!). Season with salt & pepper. Enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment